Saint Anicet Municipalite Mrc Haut Saint Laurent
The centre of the village is located near the Catholic Church, on the shores of Lake Saint-François. Agriculture and cottage communities are the main aspects of current economic activity. The golf course, Port Lewis Marina, the Lake Saint-François Manoir, the historic Léger Park, Biblio network-affiliated public library and the Droulers/Tsiionhiakwatha Archaeological Site and Interpretation Centre all play a role in enriching the social and community life of the municipality.
The two most famous personalities associated
with Saint-Anicet remain Cardinal Paul-Émile Léger, born in 1904 in
Salaberry-de-Valleyfield, he died in Montreal in 1991, and his brother Jules,
born in 1913 in Saint-Anicet, who died in Ottawa in 1980. Jules served as
Governor General of Canada from 1974 to 1979.
335 Jules-Léger Avenue
Saint-Anicet (Québec) J0S 1M0
Phone: 450 264-2555
Fax: 450 264-2395
Mayor: Gino Moretti
General Director and Secretary-Treasurer: Denis Lévesque
Councillors: Ginette Caza, Marius Trépanier, Audrey Caza, Sylvie Tourangeau, Anne-Marie Leblanc, Lyne Cardinal
Saint Anicet Aircam Mrc Du Haut Saint Laurent
Demonym and geographic code
Anicetois, oise 69070
The municipality was named in honour of Saint-Anicet, pope from 155 to 166. This pontiff, likely to have been of Syrian origin, most likely died a martyr. His universal feast is celebrated on April 17th. Two other Anicetois, who were martyred in the fourth century, also appear in the Roman Martyrology.
The name was chosen to identify the mission founded in 1810, which was officially established as a parish in 1827 under the name Saint-Anicet-de-Godmanchester, as the parish was located in the township of Godmanchester. In 1851, the short form Saint-Anicet was chosen as the designation for the post office, as well as for the parish municipality, which was established in 1845 only to be abolished in 1847 and reinstated in 1855. The status of parish municipality was changed to that of municipality on December 10, 2011.
The history of the place begins in 1788 with the surveying of the territory of the township of Godmanchester. A group of Acadians settled there before 1795. The town was founded by Irish and French Canadians around 1820, along with two other communities in Cazaville and La Guerre. The quality of the local forest allowed for the development of a forest economy. This was cleared for agriculture in the mid-nineteenth century. (Source: Quebec Toponymy Commission)
Waterside and Church