Huntingdon Municipalite Mrc Haut Saint Laurent
The Town of Huntingdon is located on the banks of the Chateauguay River in the Montérégie, around 60 kilometres southwest of Montreal.
Visitors and citizens are able to enjoy fresh local produce and products from the Huntingdon County Farmers’ Market located in the heart of Huntingdon, every Wednesday afternoon, from May to October. They can also tour the art exhibitions of select local artists throughout the year at the Alfred Langevin Cultural Hall.
The Town of Huntingdon also features several public buildings, churches and houses built in the Edwardian and Victorian styles.
23 King Street
Huntingdon (Québec) J0S 1H0
Phone: 450 264-5389
Fax: 450 264-6826
Mayor: André Brunette
Director General and Clerk-Treasurer: Johanne Hébert
Councillors: Denis St-Cyr, Andrea Geary, Dominic Tremblay, Florent Ricard, Maurice Brossoit, Rémi Robidoux
Hôtel de Ville
Moulin Huntingdon Pierre Langevin
Demonym and geographic code
The Town was founded in 1825 by the British regiments of King George of England following the British victory over the Americans in the War of 1812. As a reward to British soldiers, the King granted land in the Huntingdon region to facilitate English and Scottish colonization. The town takes its name from Huntingdon, a town in Cambridgeshire, England, as the first inhabitants were soldiers from the Huntingdon Regiment. Soon, Huntingdon became the region’s political, economic, and military centre.
During the twentieth century, the town established itself as an industrial centre, with the introduction of a number of factories, including several specializing in textiles.
Town motto: Onward
© Pierre Langevin