Hinchingbrooke Municipalite Mrc Haut Saint Laurent
Mainly agricultural, the territory of Hinchinbrooke includes protected precolonial forest, the Boisé-des-Muir, a number of rivers and orchards, as well as the hamlets of Herdman, Rockburn, Powerscourt and Dewittville (the latter also partly overlaps the municipality of Godmanchester).
In the nineteenth century, the village centre of Athelstan included mills and a railway station (from Valleyfield to Malone, 1891). The construction of Canada’s first creamery in Athelstan in 1873 was designated as a National Historic Event. The Powerscourt Covered Bridge, also recognized as a historic site, links the municipality of Hinchinbrooke to Elgin. As well, a number of century-old farms, stone houses, picturesque roadways and hamlets are just some of the charms to be found in Hinchinbrooke.
Since 1970, the residential sector and cottage community of Davignon Park has been established. It is located near to the Herdman border crossing, which is accessible via the Herdman Sideroad. The Huntingdon Regional Arena, which serves several surrounding municipalities, is also located within the municipality. The current town hall was built in 1989 following a fire.
1056 Brook Road
Hinchinbrooke (Québec) J0S 1A0
Phone: 450 264-5353
Fax: 450 264-3787
Mayor: Mark Wallace
General Manager and Secretary-Treasurer: Kathleen Rufh
Councillors: Elgin Macfarlane, Kirk Feeny, Tanya Clarke, Mark Bakos, Laurie Ann Prevost, Margo McCaffrey
Hinchinbrooke Hotel De Ville
Img 3519 Dewittville Godmanchester Hinchinbrooke Aircam Mrc Du Haut Saint Laurent
Demonym and geographic code
The Township of Hinchinbrooke, located in the Montérégie, was established in 1799, while the municipality to which it owes its name came to be in 1845. Located on the border with the state of New York, the municipality of Hinchinbrooke is surrounded by the municipality of the Township of Elgin to the West, the municipalities of Godmanchester and Huntingdon to the North, and Ormstown to the East. In 1847, the municipality of the township of Hinchinbrooke was abolished and it became part of the municipality of Beauharnois County. Eight years later, it was re-established under the same name. Its territory was annexed from that which now comprises a part of the municipality of the village of Huntingdon, which was created in 1848.
The first inhabitants, of Irish descent, occupied the territory around 1820. The mission, which was abandoned in 1840, took the name St. Patrice-de-Hinchin(g)brook(e), and in English St. Patrick (de) Hinchinbrook. In this regard, the name of the municipality, long-spelled Hinchinbrook, took its current form in 1993. The status of the township municipality was changed to municipality on November 5, 2011.
The post office was named Brooklet between 1900 and 1915, a name which refers to a rivulet or small stream. The demonym Hinchinbrooker reflects the local predominance of Anglophones. In fact, the name, both of the township and the municipality, comes from that of an old estate that today is part of the city of Huntingdon, in Cambridgeshire (England). The spelling of the English location included a “g” (Hinchingbrooke) which the Anglo-Canadians chose to suppress as it was not spoken.
Châteauguay Valley Antique Association