Mail Facebook Instagram Twitter RSS Previous Next Home Search Cross PDF Website

The municipalities

Sainte-Barbe

Municipality of Saint-Barbe

  • The municipality of Sainte-Barbe is the western gateway to the MRC du Haut-Saint-Laurent, with over 1,400 permanent residents and a considerable number of vacationers as well. It is a beautiful forty square kilometre village where farmers and residents live side by side and participate equally in community life. The low population density, bucolic character and agricultural environment, as well as the tranquility and diversity of services offered to citizens translates into a harmonious, respectful municipality with an exceptional quality of life. 

    A growing municipality, the vivacity and dynamism of its elected officials and municipal staff, as well as the involvement of volunteers within the community, makes Sainte-Barbe a welcoming place for anyone looking to lay down roots in an area that is inexpensive but with an array of services and activities. The quality of life, the physical and mental well-being of all our citizens and a municipality prepared to listen to the needs of its people helps to elevate the human character of this community. 

  • .

  • 470, chemin de l'Église (Church Road)
    Sainte-Barbe (Québec)  J0S 1P0
    Phone: 450 371-2504
    Fax: 450 371-2575
    Email: info@ste-barbe.com

    Website

    Mayor: Louise Lebrun

    General Director and Secretary-Treasurer: Chantal Girouard

    Councillors: Robert Chrétien, Marilou Carrier, Nicole Poirier, Louise Boutin, Roland Czech, Philippe Daoust

  • Town Hall

In numbers

  • Demonym and geographic code

    Barberivain, aine, 69065

  • Inhabitants

    1,421

  • Area (km)

    67.28

  • The parish of Sainte-Barbe was established canonically in 1882 with the partial annexing of the parishes of Saint-Anicet and Saint-Stanislas-de-Kostka. The name was maintained for the parish municipality created the same year, located around ten kilometres north of Huntingdon and about fifteen kilometres southwest of Salaberry-de-Valleyfield in the Montérégie. In 2009, its status was changed to that of municipality. The chosen denomination is a reminder of the devotion Bishop Édouard-Charles Fabre, Bishop of Montreal, held for Saint Barbara, whose universal feast is celebrated on December 4. The daughter of a Nicomedia noble in what is now Turkey, Barbara was beheaded at the age of sixteen, in the year 235, by her father, Dioscore, because she affirmed her Christian faith. Upon committing his crime, the murderer was struck down by lightning and died. This is the reason why Saint Barbara is invoked against lightning and fire. The patron saint of gunners, miners and firefighters, she was canonized in 1568. From the eleventh century, her following spread quickly. The choice of the name “Sainte-Barbe” was also in tribute to the memory of Marie-Barbe de Boullongue (Ravières, Champagne, around 1618 - Quebec, 1685), the wife of Governor Louis d’Ailleboust (Ancy-le-Franc, Champagne, around 1612 - Montreal, 1660), whom she married in 1683. The co-founder of the Confrérie de la Sainte-Famille (1663) in Ville-Marie, she was associated with the Société de Notre-Dame de Montreal, along with her husband. 

  • Church

    • Lake Saint-François
    • Cultural Center and Church of Sainte-Barbe
    • Lucie Benoit Public Library
    • Outdoor skating rink
    • Carole-Tremblay Community Center
    • Outdoor Gym (at the municipal park, behind the Carole-Tremblay Community Center)
  • Sainte Barbe Sallecommunautaire