Elgin Municipalite Mrc Haut Saint Laurent
The municipality of Elgin is characterized by its entirely agricultural and forested landscape. There are a number of stone houses and farms, many of which are certified organic.
The Powerscourt Covered Bridge (commonly referred to as the Percy Bridge), which connects the municipality of Elgin to Hinchinbrooke, was built over the Chateauguay River in 1861. It is now the only remaining example in the world of the McCallum inflexible arched truss. Classified as a historic monument by the Department of Culture and Communications in 1987, it has also been designated as a National Historic Site of Canada.
Of the few thousand covered bridges in Quebec there are less than one hundred remaining today, and the Powerscourt Bridge is considered to be the oldest. It is also one of the oldest standing covered bridges in Canada.
The Trout River Border Crossing is accessible via Route 138.
Elgin Hotel De Ville Elgin
Demonym and geographic code
The municipality of Elgin is located between Hinchinbrooke and Dundee and is bordered to the south by the US border. Established in 1855 as a township municipality, a mere six years following the establishment of the township itself, its official status was changed to that of municipality in 2009.
In 1863, Stanislas Drapeau spoke of the ‘village’ of Elgin, which counted 1069 souls of which only 40 were French Canadian. The name honours James Bruce, the 8th Earl of Elgin and the 12th Earl of Kincardine (London, 1811 - Dharmsala, India, 1863), Governor of Jamaica (1842-1846), Governor of United Canada (1847-1854), Postmaster General in England (1859), Viceroy and Governor General of India (1861 - 1863). As early as 1849, to satisfy the people inhabiting this place who wished to separate themselves from the large townships of Godmanchester and Hinchinbrooke, room was made between the two larger townships for a new township; which occurred the same year Elgin became Lord. His name was chosen as he had passed a law in 1849 to compensate the victims of the 1837 uprising, a position that made him very popular with French Canadians. Elgin married Lord Durham’s daughter Mary Louisa Lambton in 1846. The local English-speaking population identifies by the English Elginite demonym, and since 2004, the French community identifies itself by the Elginois, Elginoise appellation. (Source: Quebec Toponymy Commission)
010 Powerscourt 2011 Gérald Arbour N10A